Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies that are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside are the best kind. This easy recipe makes the perfect cookie and the dark chocolate chips are just a bonus.
These chocolate chip cookies were made twice while I was on vacation. The first time is always a test, the second is a chance to perfect it and make it my own.
I used Nestle Tollhouse dairy-free chips the first time and I felt like they just…weren’t mixing in well ? The chips themselves tasted fine, but didn’t mix in with the dough how I wanted them to.
We took a trip to a more populated area and made a Whole Foods trip. There I picked up the Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels for the next round of cookies. These worked much better.
The first time I also let the dough sit in the fridge for a longer period of time (you must let sit for at least 30 minutes) and I found it was extremely hard to scoop out. I bent an entire spoon.
The second time I let it sit for exactly 30 minutes and popped it back into the fridge between rounds. I liked this better.
I also used soy the first go-round and oat milk the second. I prefer oat.
They aren’t thick, which made me nervous at first. When it comes to cookies, one usually associates thickness with softness, but not to fret, these may be thin, but they’re most definitely soft and chewy.
I highly recommend using a Kitchen Aid to mix the ingredients together. A hand-blender could also be used. After making these a couple times, the longer you can mix, the better.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup or 8 tbsp of vegan butter (I used Earth Balance sticks and popped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to soften)
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup of non-dairy milk (I used both Soy and Oat and prefer Oat)
- 2 tsp of Vanilla extract
- 1 + 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour (not packed, scooped and leveled off with a knife)
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips (if you prefer more cookie than chocolate, I would use 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup)
How to make it:
- Using a standing mixer or hand-blender, add 1/2 cup vegan butter, 1 cup of packed brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. Mix well (~3-5 minutes) until it’s a fluffy, sugary blend.
- Add in the 1/4 cup of non-diary milk and 2 tsp of vanilla and beat together to thoroughly combine. (I let this run for few minutes to ensure it was all mixed together well.
- Add in the 1 + 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Finally, slowly pour the (1/2 to 1 cup) of chocolate chips and blend until evenly combined.
- Scrape the the sides of the bowl to get all dough together in the center. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge for at at least 30 minutes. (I preferred the 30 minute window over 1+ hours).
- When the dough is done chilling, preheat the oven to 350. Scoop 1 inch balls and spread evenly on the parchment (or tinfoil in a pinch) covered cookie sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack for 10-15 minutes (The first round I did 15, the second I chose 12 minutes and to let the cookies sit on the sheet outside of the oven for 5ish minutes. Both yielded good results.)
- Make sure to measure the flour correctly. It should never be packed. But scooped or spooned into the measuring cup and the top scraped off lightly with a knife or other flat object.
- Baking time will depend on the size of your cookies.
- To ensure soft and chewy, bake 10-12 minutes and let sit on the pan outside of the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Dough yields ~20-25 cookies, depending on the size, so you may have to bake in waves.
- Putting too many cookies on one sheet at a time will cause them to cook and stick together. You can always cut them apart if this happens (it just won’t look as pretty and neat).
Pro-tip: save 1/2 of the dough for enjoyment. This dough is delicious and can be eaten raw #perksofbeingvegan (;
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Crispy on the outside, chewy and gooey on the inside!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk oat
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 + 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2-1 cup vegan chocolate chips
Add vegan butter, light brown sugar (packed), and granulated sugar to a bowl and mix together using a standing mixer or hand-mixer. Beat until fluffy.
Add non-dairy milk and vanilla. Blend.
Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix together until combined.
Pour in the chocolate chips and blend until well-combined.
Cover the cookie dough with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for at 30 minutes or more.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or tinfoil).
Bake cookies in the middle rack for 10-15 minutes.
Remove cookies and allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes.